Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Field Trip: the Great Pennsylvania Adventure!

The Great Pennsylvania Adventure, (or GPA, if you wish), was pretty phenomenal and exciting. As a result, this post is pretty long. There are lots of pictures though, so look at those and scan through my rambling as you please!

After living in Pennsylvania for two and a half years during the time I attended Villanova for my Masters, I haven't once returned back to visit. When I moved home to Long Island in October of 2011, I was very frustrated with Pennsylvania. I hadn't been able to find a job there that I could support myself on, I was far away from my family, and it was perplexing to me to live somewhere that's so hot over the summer without any beaches to go to. It sort of seemed like a lonely, landlocked hell. A year and a half later, I find myself waxing poetic about my time in PA. I miss living down the block from Milkboy Coffee and being able to walk up the street, get a cup of coffee and some food, and sit, people watching in an artsy Laptopistan. I was lucky enough at the time that my other half was willing to move his life down to Pennsylvania and have that adventure with me. He too, had become disenchanted with Pennsylvania and the struggles of starting over somewhere new, without the comfort of family and old friends. We made new friends, though, and we've only realized how important they are to us after so much time being away from them. Last week, we decided it was time to take a mini-vacation and revisit our old haunts along the Main Line and spend some quality time with good friends further south, in Oxford.
yours truly, in heaven.
Our first stop was Villanova, where I fulfilled my Alumni duty of spending money I didn't have in the bookstore. The campus looks wonderful with the many changes they've made to further "beautify" it since I graduated. Check that off the list. Next up we headed to our former home of Ardmore and had lunch at Milkboy Coffee. I was disappointed to not see any of the baristas I remember from when I was a regular there... but alas, times do change. 

PHASE TWO after the jump....


an auspicious greeting

Phase two of our sojourn brought us an hour south to Oxford, where we spent some quality time with our good friend Mary and beautiful baby girl Adeline. We were super disappointed that Mary's husband Danny was away on business, but this gives us an excuse for another visit. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the German Shepherd ladies and then set right off to go take a walk and visit the horses. I can say pretty confidently that I don't know of any place on Long Island where creeks/brooks/streams (I don't know the difference) nonchalantly run through people's property and you can walk across little bridges with your dog without anybody bothering you. The speed of life slows down there... you can actually breathe and look around and appreciate open space, clean air, and the huge blue sky. It feels refreshing and invigorating to go outside and do things. Maybe I'm getting old (26 in two months, yikes)... but I want to move away from the frantic rush of NY and back to where you can spread out, have some privacy, and enjoy a more simple life. We ended our day with a lovely meal of Amish ribs from the Oxford Farm Market, only to wake up and go out for another unbelievable meal at the Nottingham Inn. The Kitchen & Creamery are locally owned, and the majority of the produce, meat, and dairy products they use come from local farmers. I was in awe of the decor on the inside, all old black and white photos of farms, cows, and countryside. The menu was surprisingly progressive for a rural Pennsylvania establishment, with items like French Toast topped with vanilla yogurt and granola, and they'd even added a smoothie menu with options of adding whey protein and other supplements. Perhaps most importantly, the coffee was pretty great. Though we were sad to leave our friends and the glorious countryside behind, it was soon time to trek back up north and pay our good friends Foster and Charlotte a visit at Trove General.
The ride from Oxford to Paoli really wasn't bad. It took about an hour, but that's an hour of smooth sailing on highway with no traffic (aka, not New York). We lucked out and got to see Foster, Charlotte AND the lovely Molly Bonner over at Trove. The store looks great, as usual, with Foster's expert eye for visuals and display and his sneaky approach to planting burning incense throughout the shop... so you suddenly find yourself smelling something wonderful without knowing from whence it comes. Steven (other half) showed off in a Trove cap for awhile, then took the plunge with a sharp new Pendleton plaid buttondown tee for spring. I fell in love with a Pendleton skirt (above), and a pair of Imogene+Willie high waisted skinny jeans. I'm sorry I tried them on, frankly, because now I'm sorry that I couldn't buy them and my life is ruined (exaggeration... almost). I had been skeptical about the jeans that Foster referred to as "magic," because I have such a tough time finding things that fit, as we've discussed. Lanky, athletic, equestrian girls with small derriĆ©res aren't exactly the fit model most designers use to craft their denim. It was therefore to my shock and awe that the jeans fit like a dream and were for all intensive purposes, magical indeed. Though I didn't leave with any garments possessing otherworldly powers, I did score some awesome beef jerky by Side Project Jerky. Handcrafted in Philadelphia from Pennsylvania beef, one bite and I knew it was crafted with the kind of love most people will never understand.

Another happy event -- Wawa! Iced coffee and a hoagie (not in NY anymore, ergo "hero" is a moot term) powered us up for the ride back home. Sad though we were, I was glad to get home to my pup, and I now have a renewed sense of purpose and focus for where I want my life to take me. Maybe it was the fresh air... maybe it was the magic jeans... who's to say? But Pennsylvania, you certainly have a piece of my heart. 

P.S. You can always follow my adventures more closely on Instagram at @aezeum.

Explore!




No comments:

Post a Comment