Wednesday, May 22, 2013

An Inside Look at the Strong Brand


I first stumbled upon the Strong Brand several months ago on Instagram, where I've found many new brands and shops. It's really proven to be a great outlet because you don't just see the product, but also the story, the vibe, and the people behind what they're selling. The Strong Brand particularly touched me with their mix of old trucks, shooting photos, outdoorsy scenes, and their hats worn by people in various acts of all-American good fun. From what I can tell, they more or less invented the hashtag #strongsled and now field photo submissions of old beat up trucks from around the country. Why? Because, why not? It's cool, it's what they like, and it's this attitude that made me fall in love with their small line of hats and t-shirts. They're proof that this generation of young, brand-conscious sartorialists isn't dominated by precious hipsters in thick rimmed glasses. Oh no, there are some real, thorough dudes at work here.

I approached Don for an interview piece because I wanted to get to know what this young, small brand is all about. What I inferred from Instagram is that they are proudly American without being cheesily patriotic*, and they don't take themselves too seriously. This is a brand I wanted to know more about, and I figured you'd all feel the same. 
*(see: Dads in tube socks, dirty white Reeboks, baggy jean shorts and an Old Navy t-shirt with the American flag on it, holding a Bud Light in a koozie)

Read the interview after the jump...


Anne: When did you start the Strong Brand, and what were you doing before that?

Don: The Strong Brand started some time in 2012.  I have a day job, but that's another story. (I, too have a day job. They are always "another story"...)

A: From the photos you share, it seems a lot of your inspiration for "Strong" comes from old school American ideals, i.e. trucks ("strong sleds"), hunting/shooting culture, and an obvious love for the PNW. Is your brand an extension of these ideals? 

D: I've always thought The Strong Brand communicates best through imagery.  We've never sat down and clearly defined what "Strong" is or isn't and I think that's why you see so many different types of images on our site.  I think The Strong Brand is the idea of something that has endured time.  It's an appreciation for the old stuff that remains relevant.  In a lot of ways, it's the exact opposite of "Cool."  Cool is fleeting.  It changes from person to person and day to day.  The stuff that gets better with age - that's Strong.  

A lot of the imagery I am personally drawn to is a reflection of my childhood.  I grew up visiting my Grandfather's farm in California.  My Grandfather is really everything I think of when I think of this idea of Strong.  When he got out of the Navy after WWII, he started a small farm in California.  A lot of the images and hard work I saw visiting his farm has influenced the brand - old trucks, the military, lasso rope, cattle, denim etc.  Meanwhile, my father was a State Trooper and I remember him coming home everyday in the same uniform - wool pants, boots and a campaign cap.  He wrote everyday in the same notebook and wore a leather duty belt made by a company here in Oregon.  I think seeing my father in that uniform and the tradition that comes with police work also has had a big influence on the overall aesthetic of the site and direction of the brand.  

In a lot of ways, I think today's younger generation of men really yearn for these traditional lifestyles.  The Strong Brand is really an appreciation for the enduring American lifestyle and the generations before us that made America what it is today.

A: Was it difficult finding affordable ways to manufacture your goods in the US, and in Oregon specifically? This seems to be a recurring struggle for start-up brands in the US.

D: I have been really lucky so far.  Everyone I have worked with has been extremely supportive.  I think domestic manufacturers are excited to find a younger generation interested in making stuff here in the US and want to help make it happen.  I think it's meaningful for everyone. 

A: Where do you see the brand going in the future? Expanding to more clothing/accessories/etc? (I'd like to put my vote in for a unisex tank top/"wifebeater" with your branding on it). 

D: I really just like making stuff that I would want.  I'd like to work on some t-shirts for summer (because I need some new t's).  In the fall, I'd like to make a great crew neck sweatshirt.
I also really like collaborating with other people.  I am continually amazed at the response to The Strong Brand and at the connections we've made as a result of this project.  

A: What are a few brands that you're really into right now, or that you look up to and feel inspired by?

D: Archival Clothing is a huge inspiration.  They started as a blog in Eugene, Oregon and they do all their manufacturing 10 miles from their office.  I've had a chance to meet Lesli a couple times and she is great.

As for other brands I really like - I wear the same pair of Tellason jeans almost every day.  I like an old beat up pair of Vans shoes in the summer and I rotate a pair of Danners and Red Wing boots in the fall/winter.  Keep it simple.

Above: Tellason jeans, STRONG Brand camo pocket tee ($52) and Safety Orange Camo Trucker ($20), and Vans Brushed Twill Authentic ($55). For the record, I have the exact same Vans.


No comments:

Post a Comment