Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Four Legged Finery of the Hound Persuasion

Before you say anything: 1) I know! 2) I'm sorry! I've been busier than I'd ever imagined this summer. Between working, riding, and spending every nice day off going outside and soaking in the sun, I definitely neglected my bloggerly duties. HOWEVER, in the spirit of that "go outside and do something" attitude, I've been inspired by a chat with Morgan Cummins of the new UK-based Houndworthy to do a post dedicated to the active-lifestyle dog owner.

Houndworthy and I got in touch after discovering our mutual affection for Dubarry boots via Twitter. After a couple of emails back and forth, I saw that the Houndworthy mission was very close to my own objective with this blog. Co-founder Morgan explained their goal as such:
"The strategy behind our brand visual approach is to create this immersive experience where it should make you actually wish you were outside somewhere (with hound) and not sittin' indoors lookin' at a website! ... providing the impetus for people to go and do more rewarding things; and buying and using better goods is part of that."
Though they've likened themselves to a canine-oriented Patagonia or North Face type of lifestyle brand, I would even venture to compare their online branding strategy to something like Anthropologie. Anthro works by assaulting all of your senses as soon as you enter the store: the scented candles burning, the music playing, the look of the staff, the store visuals, etc. It's a truly visceral experience, and Houndworthy has managed to skillfully achieve this and more without the physicality of a brick-and-mortar shop. Creative Director Morgan and his partner Jo Holdaway have fused their talents to create this amazing brand, and use their own hounds as models, muses, and test subjects for the array of unique dog toys, leads, collars, clothing, and accessories on the site. Don't get it twisted, though. You're not going to find pink and blue gendered doggie collars with paw print designs, or dog t-shirts with corny phrases screened on in Comic Sans. This is hardworking dog gear for folks with a more refined aesthetic.
(all taken from their Instagram: @houndworthy)

Another brand with a purpose is Found My Animal, a Brooklyn-based brand making fisherman style rope leads, collars, and accessories. They're also dedicated advocates of animal rescue, partnering with local rescue organizations and foster programs to help shelter pups find homes. Aside from the fact that their goods are super cool, I love that they go over and beyond to do their part helping needy dogs in the community.

I've got a serious soft spot for rescue dogs. My own pup is a 3 year old Dachshund mix named Otto that I rescued when he was a little 5 pound morsel, and my life has never been the same. Having a dog has gotten me outside, led me to conversations with complete strangers, and brought me to a much happier spiritual place as an independent explorer of this world.

He's a pain to find good gear for though, since he's very long and skinny, and has a neck like a little goose. That certainly didn't stop us from making a wishlist though!

Since it was Dubarry that originally brought Houndworthy and myself together, the Galway boot must be included. I live in my brown Galways, but I've always thought a black/mahogany pair would be rather striking for dogwalking, since Otto and I would then match. Morgan had his own Dubarry testimonial: "I have a pair of Dubarry gamekeeper boots... I love them. They come up to my knees and keep anything out! I've gone across rivers in Scotland 2ft deep, they are awesome." I can only dream of trudging through rivers in Scotland. Morgan -- I envy you!

It's very annoying that Otto can't wear regular collars... his neck is just too skinny and they always rub off his fur. The plaid button bandanna from Houndworthy would probably look AMAZING on him though. The Natural Leash from Found My Animal is sharp, and made in the USA, fisherman-style, from high-quality materials. I see this look improvised at horse shows a lot by people who just use their horse's lead rope as a leash, but FMA's version is a huge upgrade. As for that slick canvas satchel... be still my heart. I make no secret of my difficult relationship with handbags, but this one is exactly my style. It would be perfect for carrying all my stuff, and I'd even throw Otto's favorite ball in there too.

Go forth and explore! And when you're done doing that, go outside!

Houndworthy

Found My Animal 

Dubarry

No comments:

Post a Comment