Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Austin, Texas! One of the Top Ten Dopest Cities in the USA.

I'm not sure what the other 9 "Dopest Cities in the USA" are, I just know that Austin is definitely on that list. I was lucky enough to spend a long, gorgeous sunny day in Austin a couple of weeks ago, and I feel the need to share the awesomeness with everyone. I found the city to be completely distinct from any other one I've seen in the US, and I was able to connect with it far more than I have with any other place in Texas.
Kyle! Wearing the Dubarry Keating jacket and Kerry boots. Gear fit for exploring.
We started the day with a little pre-breakfast hike up to Covert Park at Mount Bonnell. There were a lot of stairs, but the view was well worth it. An appropriately large and Tex-Mexified breakfast ensued, after which I found necessary caffeination in the form of a damn good double cappuccino at Strange Brew. The barista was a total sweetheart and gave tips on cool places to go on our one free day in Austin.
I I headed around the SoCo neighborhood with Kyle (the coolest dude I know) and marveled at the seemingly endless number of awesome, independently owned stores. Sad but true... I generally feel a lot more comfortable walking around men's shops with an actual guy, otherwise the staff doesn't seem to know what to make of me. But, that's fine. 

We went into Stag first, after Weiss Watch Co. gave me the heads up about them via Twitter (thanks for that!). They have a really impressive selection of menswear brands, from RRL to Imogene+Willie, Baldwin Denim, Gitman Bros., Filson, Penfield, etc... and New York's own Terrapin Stationers are there as well! Plus, that bright Texas sun made some new shades a necessity, and they had some Randolph Engineering aviators that fit the bill perfectly. 
Terrapin Stationers at Stag Austin!
Randolph Engineering aviators -- necessary purchase.
We stopped by Archive Vintage and I was pleased to see HELM Boots there, in the flesh, for the first time! They're as well crafted and handsome as I thought they would be. The shop also had a ton of neat vintage stuff, mixed in with new finds from rare brands.
South Congress Books caught my eye... I'm a sucker for used/vintage bookstores and this place DID NOT disappoint. If I lived in Austin I'd be in there on a weekly basis for sure. Though the shelf full of first-edition Faulkner's caught my eye... I picked up a copy of Sartre that I was missing. If you are nerdy, GO SUPPORT THIS BOOK STORE. 
Uncommon Objects was another gem that we stumbled upon. It's the sort of antique shop that you can get lost in for hours. Literally endless amounts of stuff to look through, from classic to bizarre, with plenty of Americana and distinctly Texan artifacts. They had a separate section of jewelry made out of things like antique compasses, pocket knives, skeleton keys, etc. which was completely tempting and I can't believe I made it out of there without buying something.
It would have been remiss of me not to try out some cowboy boots while I was in Texas... so we went to a place that was literally floor to ceiling, aisles and aisles of boots: Allens Boots. I've apparently got a rare size for cowboy boots (after a fitting with Rod Patrick back in October), but I found a pair of black Lucchese that felt amazing. I didn't take the plunge, but, I'm still thinking about them.
For refreshment we found Jo's Coffee, where there was plenty of open air seating and a walk-up window... and lots of cute dogs. 
Our next shop stop was Service Menswear, a short drive away, tucked into a pretty swanky little shopping center. The store was small but packed to the brim with well chosen goods. Kyle fell in love with an arrow print buttondown from Altru Apparel
shirt by Altru Apparel.
Another Austin MUST is proper tacos. Fortunately for us, Kyle had a friend there who recommended Torchy's Tacos, where we ate outside in the lovely sunshine and I shamelessly licked hot sauce off my fingers. They were indeed, Damn Good Tacos.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST we rushed over to the Hope Outdoor Gallery graffiti park, which appears to be the ruins of an industrial sort of building that was commandeered by graffiti artists until everyone gave up and turned it into a giant dynamic art exhibit. The view of the Austin skyline is amazing from there as well. It was a perfect and fitting end to a successful day of exploration.
Dubarry Wicklow boots and Ardmore bag, Houndworthy Stag Antler whistle






//EDIT// Oh but WAIT. There was more. Austin's got a killer music scene... that's no secret... and while we were listening to NPR on the drive into town we heard this band Sons of Fathers, who happened to be playing at the Mohawk that night. Carpe diem, baby, so we went down there and saw some great live music, witnessed some legitimate stomping of cowboy boots, and also walked by a steampunk bar that I regret not going into afterwards.
Sons of Fathers tearin' it up at the Mohawk!


VISIT AUSTIN.
>> Stag
>> Service Menswear
>> Archive Vintage
>> Uncommon Objects
>> Allens Boots
>> South Congress Books

No comments:

Post a Comment