Saturday, September 22, 2012

Better Bags

In truth, I have a really hard time getting excited about handbags. I don't carry that much stuff around with me either, so the only time a roomy bag ever comes in handy is when I'm with a few people and we need to smuggle snacks and drinks into the movie theater. It is due to my apathy and lack of enthusiasm about bags in general, however, that you should pay extra mind to this collection of bags that I am actually rather excited about.

To set the scene, let me introduce you to the bag I've used for the majority of the past 5 years: the Strand tote.
This bag has been through the wash. It's been re-sewn in a couple of spots. As you can see, it's had a couple of highlighters go capless inside of it (wild stuff). But the medium size, durable (recycled) material, and absence of excessive pockets and compartments have made this an ideal companion for my neurotically minimalistic mode of being. Also awesome: the bag is made in the USA, comes in a variety of colors and patterns, and is only $15 from Strand Books. Sadly I do realize that I can't drag around my war-torn Strand tote forever, and that is why for this post I've compiled an assortment of bags that would suit me just fine. 

I first saw the Pointer Brand Woodland Tote on Trove General Store's blog. Charlotte and Foster of Trove are good friends of mine and they always pick the best stuff to carry in the shop. Pointer is a classic American brand, and everything has been made right in Tennessee for almost a hundred years now.
At $60 it's significantly more expensive than the Strand bag, but it's roomier and probably quite a bit more well-made too. If I had the extra cash I'd probably order this bag right now, honestly. 

Fjallraven is another brand that I was initially introduced to by my friends at Trove General, but in the past few years I've seen them in different places and popping up in random urban "Street Style" blogs. They started off small 50 years ago in Sweden and have since expanded as a global brand, while still keeping true to their mission to make products that mindfully facilitate an outdoor lifestyle. 
In backpack form, the $55 Kånken Mini's dimensions and price are comparable to the Pointer tote. I think the black/red that I've shown might be my favorite color option, but the olive/red is a close second. This probably wouldn't be my choice for my everyday bag, but I can see it coming in handy for day trips and urban excursions.

If I wanted to placate my complete aversion towards carrying things around, I would absolutely go with the "So Clutch" collaboration between Topo Designs of Colorado and Mrs. P. Hicks. It's a cheeky nod to the envelope clutch trend that refuses to abandon some functional utilitarianism, (detachable strap included).
This bag fits the essentials, for me: phone, wallet, Field Notes, keys, chapstick. The $69 price tag is totally worth it for this bag, since they're only producing 50 of them (!!) and it's a collaboration of two very cool small brands, worth supporting. 

Something I've only just discovered are the bags of Wm. J. Mills & Co., of Greenport, NY. Greenport is a lovely little harbor town on the North Shore of Long Island, about a 30 minute drive from my house. The bags are made in the same sail loft in Greenport that they've been making marine products in since 1880. The materials are weather-resistant as well, and the stitching is all reinforced. 
At $150 the retro-inspired Flight Bag (top) is sadly out of my financial reach right now, but I plan on making a pilgrimage to their brick and mortar the next time I'm out in Greenport. I'm thrilled that something this cool is so close to home for me. 






In my eternal quest for tolerable baggage, I welcome any bag suggestions or feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment