Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Boots to Fall For

A very wise Dutch gentleman once told me that he couldn't respect a woman who wore sneakers, (I believe he called them "gym shoes," actually). Nothing compares, he stressed, to proper leather footwear. For whatever reason, I was very struck by that simple image of a "woman in sneakers," or a man in sneakers for that matter, and have made a point of working against that. After a blazing hot New York summer where my Rainbow flip-flops and my Ariat paddock boots were the only footwear that saw any action, I'm ready to jump back into boots for fall.




I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that every boot I've posted works for both men and women. I generally hate the overt attempt at feminization that is evident in any kind of rugged outerwear made exclusively for women, so I think these styles are classic and functional, and transcend any kind of gender labeling. The first two I've posted are the Danner Light Heathman and the Danner Mountain Light Stark, both a part of their Stumptown collection and as always, made in Portland, Oregon. They're gorgeous, well-made, rugged, and will look better and better the more you abuse them. 

Next we have the iconic Dubarry Galway boot. It took me a couple of years to warm up to the black/brown color, because I always preferred the brown ones that I have (see the next image: me standing in the floodwaters of the Schuylkill River August 2011 after the hurricane). I like having a lot of contrast in my wardrobe, and the black/brown just WORKS. I've had Dubarrys for over 6 years now though... walked through blizzards, rivers, horse s**t, some pretty unspeakable things, and they haven't once failed me. They are lined to the very top with Gore-tex and the leather is Dry Fast-Dry Soft, so they don't get warped and weird over time.

Last but not least are the Blundstone 500. A unisex work boot icon, still made in Australia. I have them in the all black, but I do appreciate the contrasting lighter gusset on the Stout Brown color option. They are more water resistant than waterproof, but I've worn them in the rain, snow, and walked through puddles without any incident. I initially bought them when my quest for something classic yet resembling combat boots left me empty handed, and they've done the job well. I like wearing them with some kind of colorful sock over my jeans. Aesthetically it's pleasing to me, but it's also rather practical for hiking or walking through the woods, since the boots aren't tall. 

Though there are a lot of boots that look cool out there, it's not enough for me if they don't serve a functional purpose. Hence, my gripe with the majority of women's fashion footwear. If the leather isn't real, or is cheaply tanned, or the stitching is poorly done, or the soles are super thin, I'm just not interested. I'd like to be ready for any kind of adventure that comes my way, or at the very least... wearing something very comfortable. 

Danner Stumptown Collection

Dubarry

Blundstone

No comments:

Post a Comment