Friday, September 14, 2012

Mission Statement

To get to what this blog is about, I first need to take you along on a tangent about social networking. About 2 months ago, I deleted Facebook. It had reached a point where things that were being said and done on Facebook were beginning to negatively affect my emotional well-being. Taking a step back, I realized how ridiculous it was that something intangible, on the internet, could consume that much space in my head. The decision to delete it was as much a step in the right direction for me emotionally as it was a valuable social experiment. Lo and behold, days and weeks after my internet presence had faded, friends and acquaintances who I didn't normally talk to were texting or calling me directly and looking to hang out, IN PERSON. This is a wild notion. After the fact, I saw a video (posted below) that perfectly expressed what I was feeling, and more, and really changed the way I think about a lot of things beyond Facebook.


This isn't a blog about Facebook. However, the idea that the rapid globalization of social networking AND consumerism will lead to an implosive collapse is relevant to my cause at The Dappled Waistcoat. I have a Masters degree in English Literature from one of the best Universities in the country. I work a part-time retail job. When people ask me what I do, I don't say "I work retail at _______." I tell them I'm a "starving artist" because I feel that there's more dignity in starving and being creative than selling my soul to a corporation for a pathetic hourly wage. This blog is meant to unite and encourage other artists, starving and otherwise. The bottom line is that we need to localize our consumption of goods and services. Not only does supporting small businesses and local artisans bolster the community economically, but it has an undeniable psychological effect as well. You feel good buying something and knowing who made it and where your money is going. The person/business you've purchased from feels good because they are creating something that will be used and appreciated. This is a relationship that is mutually beneficial. 

I do recognize, thanks to personal experience, that this can be a very expensive way to live for the average person. I can't afford to always spend more on things that are handmade or locally crafted, but I do what I can. If everyone opened their eyes just a little bit and were more mindful of what they were buying, we'd see an economic and emotional improvement in all of our communities. 

In this blog, I intend to feature small businesses and other "starving artists," as well as larger, established brands with a reputation for integrity and quality. I've met a lot of people in the past few years working to build something on their own that they are proud of, and it has been a massive inspiration for me. I look forward to sharing with you.

2 comments:

  1. How does one starving artist get in contact with you?

    You may contact me at: mojobazaar@gmail.com

    I have an Etsy store in the works: www.mojobazaar.etsy.com

    Thanks for your time. Am interested in a future feature on your page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your Etsy store... you have some cool stuff! I'll definitely bookmark it and keep you in mind for future posts. Thank you so much for sharing :)

      If you're on twitter that's probably the easiest way to keep in contact... @dappldwaistcoat

      Delete