Saturday, September 15, 2012

Most Recent Purchase: Stern Design Works

Every year I go to the Hampton Classic Horse Show, sometimes to watch, other times to work. I always like to start my jaunt with a tour around the Boutiques Garden to see what familiar faces are there, and what new and interesting vendors have come in. After seeing a whole lot of the same and feeling a bit disappointed, I was suddenly drawn to the booth of Stern Design Works. The layout of their space was lovely, and the careful arrangement of hanging necklaces and carefully strewn earrings and rings gave you the sense that you were amidst delicate things crafted with love. The Brooklyn-based husband and wife team behind SDW, Cameron and Rebecca Stern, were eager to chat about their experiences starting up a business together. Though it is by no means the easy path, Cameron felt that the inevitable struggles of being a small, independent business were worthwhile, thanks to the sense of pride that comes with loving what you do. Rebecca is the jewelry-crafting genius, who fell in love with it while studying Sculpture and Jewelry at the Pratt Institute, while Cameron's experience working as a theatrical technician lends to their beautiful and unique displays.

I couldn't help but purchase a necklace and matching earrings from the Chroma collection. Each piece is meant to invoke the feeling of looking at a slide under a microscope. I also loved the mix of base metals, with the copper chain contrasting the brass rim of the pendant.




I also heavily regret not purchasing this crystal necklace, because I'm very much in love with it.



Basically, you could not meet a nicer couple, and everything they have is unlike any jewelry I've seen anywhere before. They have other collections as well, which I encourage you to explore either through their website sterndesignworks.com or their Etsy shop


The first image is my own, all the rest are from the Stern Design Works website and their Pinterest board.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting and unique jewelry is so special to me. These are so gorgeous, I can't get over it. The microscope slide-esque pieces especially. So into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their prices were seriously not bad at all either! I was very surprised.

      Delete