Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Shopping Small and Smart for Femmes

I very often see other people going to stores like Forever 21 and buying three shirts and two pairs of pants for what I'd normally spend on one top and one bottom elsewhere, and I just can't bring myself to join in. Mass consumerism is a tricky thing, because we've been conditioned to focus more on the "bang for your buck" factor while completely overlooking the quality component of our purchases. If researchers did a study on people that shop primarily at stores like Forever 21 versus people who buy less but focus more on quality, I am CERTAIN that they would find that the bargain shoppers are ultimately spending just as much, if not more, because the clothes they buy do not last and need to regularly be replaced. This, my friends, is how marketing works. Oh wow, you got 3 shirts for $20?! That's awesome! Then they go through the wash once or twice and the fabric is threadbare and falling apart, and the stitching is coming out. Big mass-production companies like this would like us to think they're doing us a huge favor and giving us deals, but really they're just scamming you into spending more over time. I am not too proud to admit that stores like this do have their utility. If I get a last-minute invitation to a party or social function that I don't particularly care about and I need a quick outfit, I'll go to one of those stores and grab a dress for $30. Guilty as charged, but that's fine, since convenience is definitely a relevant factor to the way we spend our money.

My attitude towards my wardrobe is obviously similar to my shopping philosophy. The wardrobe to me is a living, changing organism: it evolves constantly, but essentially remains the same organism. I don't pay too much attention to trends, particularly ones that stray too far from the overarching color palette/vibe of my style. By doing this, I eliminate the need to shop en masse for new clothes each season and discard/donate the unwanted tattered wears of last season. I instead shop each season for a few new pieces that can enhance, update, and coordinate with things I already have. The pieces I have last for years because they are well-made and cost a bit more, but it evens out. A "must-have" in my book isn't something super lavish and on-point with the trend of the moment, it's something fresh and new but still versatile and timeless. 

My lecturing is through for the moment. To further argue my case, however, are great pieces that are made in USA and will stand the test of time and the seasons. You can start taking notes.

Shelter Half is a Los Angeles collective of made in America brands that started up about a year ago. They share my ideals of "conscious commerce" and mindful encouragement of manufacturing and design talents within the USA. The site has an extensive variety of goods, including apparel, housewear, furniture, and accessories. While I adamantly support their cause, I will say that I find the pricing on a lot of their goods to be rather prohibitive for the average starving artist (myself). For example, their eyewear averages from $340 to $595 for a pair of "Retrospecs" frames, with little to no description of the glasses themselves to justify the pricing. Anyone that desperate to look like a character from Mad Men could easily just go to Warby Parker and get a pair for less than a hundred bucks. My pricing criticisms aside, I did find a dress that I felt was worth the price.
Clothilde "Biarritz" Dress from Shelter Half, $185
Behold, the Biarritz dress. This kimono-style dress from Shelter Half is a color that I ordinarily wouldn't go for, but the simplicity of the dress allows for accessorizing to suit multiple seasons. The $185 for such a minimalist design finds its value in (I'm assuming) the craftsmanship of the piece and its versatility. This dress would be super comfortable for warmer weather with a floppy hat and a pair of espadrilles, and for fall/winter, i.e. now, I'd pair this with textured knit tights and short boots like Blundstone 500's or even L.L. Bean boots. Up top, throw on a cozy scarf with complementing colors like the 10,000 Lakes Scarf from Mrs. P.Hicks (below).


Mrs. P. Hicks 10,000 Lakes Scarf in Gray (top) and Blue, $62
These scarves are proudly made in USA at one of our oldest knitting mills. I'd probably opt for the gray with the Biarritz dress just because I'd want to neutralize the orange, but the dress is simple enough that you could more or less go crazy with chunky knitted accessories to spruce it up.

My point here is that you could spent $185 on a dress, which with the right accessories you could basically wear year-round, or you could spend $185 on several dresses, poorly constructed with low-quality fabrics that will look like garbage after a few heavy rounds of use. If your sense of self-worth is not dependent upon the sheer quantity of garments hanging in your closet, my less-is-more-is-less philosophy should appeal to you. If up until this point you've been driven solely by bargain hunting, I hope that this crash course in quality-economics has been a least a little enlightening. 


2 comments:

  1. "I am CERTAIN that they would find that the bargain shoppers are ultimately spending just as much, if not more, because the clothes they buy do not last and need to regularly be replaced."

    The cost isn't the issue.

    This is: "shop... for new clothes each season"

    If you're going to shop for new clothes each season quality is secondary. And Fashion rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying, but it essentially begs the question of "what is 'fashion'?" If by "fashion" you are referring to "trends," then yes, by all means, be a wasteful consumer and completely overhaul your wardrobe every time the fashion buyers, merchandizers, and marketers decide that a different print or cut is now "the trend." My focus is on STYLE, not TRENDS. The word "fashion" honestly disgusts me, because I associate it with decadence, waste, and trends. Anyone secure enough in their individuality and mindful enough to get good clothes that last doesn't need an external force to dictate what trends they need to follow.

      I don't care about "fashion." I care about style, timeless designs, tailoring, and being thoughtful about how one spends their money.

      Delete