Sunday, February 3, 2013

Spring Shades: SHURON Edition


Before I begin, I'm obliged to tell you that proper sunglasses are a YEAR ROUND necessity, not just for April-August. However, Spring does bring sunny days and people tend to spend more time outside, so what better time to upgrade your look? I recently got a pair of prescription Ray Ban "New Clubmaster" sunglasses (see Figure A). Shortly after picking them up, I discovered that the Clubmasters are made in China. If I had realized before, I honestly would have opted for something else. The vast majority of Ray Bans are still made in Italy, but I guess that due to the complexity of producing frames that have both metal and plastic components, it is more cost-effective to manufacture certain styles in China.

Figure A
After putting Ray Ban on blast via Twitter (they didn't care), a follower recommended Shuron to me. Since 1865, Shuron Ltd have been making eyewear in Greenville, South Carolina. Their frames are decidedly retro, because the designs literally have not changed since the time when "retro" was "modern." Honestly, some are so retro that they have not yet been recycled into what's considered hip... but I'm sure they will sooner or later. What's amazing about Shuron, and an indictment of the major eyewear corporations, is that these Made in USA frames are incredibly affordable. A pair of polarized sunglasses from Shuron runs roughly $160-185, depending on the style.

As much as I love and respect Warby Parker and Classic Specs, and I'm sure the materials they use are excellent, their frames are still manufactured in China. That's why they're less than a hundred bucks, folks. Let's use our heads. You have to take the bad with the good, for sure. WP donates glasses to people in need, and CP donates a percentage of their profits to charity. Awesome. However, in lieu of donating to charity, why not find a way to produce your glasses in the US and create actual jobs for people in this country? Personally, I'd rather pay 50 bucks more for something that's made here. That's where Shuron comes in.
Shuron "Sidewinder" in Demi Amber/Gray
Shuron "Freeway" in Black Fade w/ Green/Gray
Shuron "Freeway" in Demi Gray/Gray
Shuron "Ronsir Revelation" in Black Briar

The Freeway and the Sidewinder are both Wayfarer-type styles. The major differences between the two  would be the thicker arms and double rivet feature on the Sidewinder vs the metal bar detail on the Freeway. The Ronsir is a Clubmaster style, which they offer in a few different variations. I like the Revelation model because the lens size is a bit smaller, akin to my "New Clubmaster." 

The photos speak for themselves. There's no question that Shuron's designs can compete with the trendiest companies out there, but their humble origins have rendered them the best kept secret among retro eyewear aficionados. 

The easiest way to explore their selection is right at the source, www.shuron.com

7 comments:

  1. The clubmaster segment reminded me of something. Danny had a funny story one time about an Asian girl that worked a show with him. He said a customer came in the booth and asked,with the Asian girl standing right next to him, "This stuff ain't made in China is it?" Danny replied, "No, but she is, and there's nothing wrong with her."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD.... he would say that. and I'm sure he said it so properly that no one could possibly be offended.

      Delete
  2. I need some new eyeglass frames... Everyone has club masters now and it's not cool to walk into a room with 2 other guys wearing the same glasses as me. I was looking at some by Claire Goldsmith, who I found out through an instagram photo Ben Kweller posted... eeeeeeeee I just want to buy way too many things I don't actually need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glasses are something you always need! these are so cheap, honestly. I don't know if they have a "try on" program or anything but they're seriously dope. I'm still a bit bummed about my Clubmasters but I didn't pay for them so I can't complain.

      Delete
  3. I prefer the way WP works.

    Manufacturer cheaply in China so you have the money to hire creatives in the US to do fun cool work, rather than tedious robot tasks.

    For example: www.warbyparker.com v. www.shuron.com

    "We’ve always been inspired by the master wordsmith and pop culture icon, Mr. Jack Kerouac. " - wp

    "Shuron will be proud to serve its new customers like it was proud to have been the primary source of optical products...," -shuron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that perspective too. Like I said, you have to take the good with the bad. Nonetheless, as WP grows as a company it would be nice to see them move some production over to our shores.

      Delete
  4. I like them a lot and they look so much like Ray Bans! Personally I would prefer to spend the extra money to have something made in the USA. Let's keep it rolling here :)

    ReplyDelete