Friday, September 28, 2012

Dreams of Camping

While I do understand the appeal of using rugged products for urban life, (via Range Rover commercials where the safari SUV is navigating Manhattan), nothing compares to going off the pavement and using products with utility to reconnect with the natural world. I've never been camping for real, and every fall I get the urge to try it. I love hiking and being in the woods, and I generally prefer being as far away from large crowds of people as possible, so camping is extremely appealing to me. This year I've vowed to finally get out in the woods, pitch a tent, and warm myself by a campfire. In my dream camping universe, these are a few things I would have.


Montana Canvas, based just north of Yellowstone National Park, makes all of their camping products right here in the USA. They also have all sorts of camping stoves, bedrolls, saddle packs, and whatever else you could imagine needing out in the grand old wilderness. I'd have no problem cozying up in their Wedge Tent after an evening of drinking cocoa by the campfire in my trusty Stanley thermos.


For just about a hundred years Stanley has been making super durable and functional thermalware. Because let's be honest... nobody wants lukewarm coffee or cocoa on a chilly night. Or cold feet.


Keeping warm while camping is a preoccupation of mine, and I'm pretty passionate about socks. I think it goes along with being passionate about good boots, but the right socks for the job can make life a thousand times easier. I have a pair of these Fox River Mills Outdoorsox, and they are absolutely brilliant. The company started in Wisconsin in 1900 making socks for lumberjacks, whom I'd imagine have pretty high standards. Their wool wicks away perspiration and moisture to keep your feet dry, so you never get clammy feet. They are extra cushiony as well, perfect for keeping your feet comfortable on a long day of hiking in the woods, or chopping down trees, (your choice). 



Campfire time in your warm socks with your awesome thermos seems a little lacking without being wrapped up in a blanket. Pendleton's National Parks collection of blankets are perfect for this task. The Yosemite and Glacier Park editions are my favorites, but they all have amazing, retro stripes and prints in each park's official colors. For the times at home in between camping adventures, this blanket would look beautiful on a bed as well. 

No camping supply list is complete without a sleeping bag. The Sportsman's XL Camp Sleeping Bag from LL Bean is big and roomy -- great for someone like me with a dog who likes to snuggle up under the covers, or just someone really tall.


This is all really great, but it definitely seems like a lot to carry. Enter Topo Designs, whose clutch collaboration we explored previously. Topo was started by a couple of dudes in Colorado who love doing things outside and wanted to make quality gear that could keep up to their standards. All of their bags are both rugged and multifunctional, but for my camping-fantasy purposes, the Klettersack would likely serve me best. You can fit plenty of stuff inside, and it has leather lash tabs on the exterior to hook on extra gear if necessary. It has a laptop sleeve inside as well, for keeping it rugged once you return to your more urban pursuits.


Mark my words, my camping fantasy will come true this fall. When it does, photos and anecdotes will surely follow. In the meantime, I will continue to dream about all of these goodies and try to hide my credit cards from myself. 

As always, I'd appreciate any input or suggestions on camping supplies, as I am clearly a camping fangirl/newbie.







2 comments:

  1. You NEED a Leatherman, or at least some sort of multi-tool, but Leatherman is right from Portland, OR. You will undoubtedly use it at least once. I poked around a little on Etsy, and here are some cool finds:

    Charcoal / mini burner grill from WA: http://www.etsy.com/listing/102822066/dual-fuel-mini-portable-bbq-grill-and

    Felted Can Cozy from NM:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/109157460/felted-can-cozy-the-camping-collection

    Some awesome looking marshmellow roasters, from ID:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/96843414/marshmallow-roasters

    And you need some good lighting (not sure the mfg sources on these).

    Super bright waterproof flashlight:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-2510-Carabineer-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B0039PV1QK/ref=pd_sim_hi_3

    Dual purpose lantern / tent light:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLN-Sportsman-LED-Lantern/dp/B0018S4XIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348869443&sr=8-1&keywords=led+lantern

    Can't wait to see some pictures of your hopeful trip!

    ReplyDelete